Delta made a splash last month by instituting changes to make achieving status in its SkyMiles program significantly harder. It’s now walking back some of those changes. While these changes are definitely a welcome improvement, SkyMiles remains the least generous loyalty program among US airlines.
I’ll have more thoughts on these changes later but for now, here are the highlights:
- Slightly Easier Medallion Status Achievement: In response to concerns about the accessibility of Medallion Status, Delta has rolled back its Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) requirements for 2025:
- Silver Medallion Status: now 5,000 MQDs (previously 6,000)
- Gold Medallion Status: now 10,000 MQDs (previously 12,000)
- Platinum Medallion Status: now 15,000 MQDs (previously 18,000)
- Diamond Medallion Status: now 28,000 MQDs (previously 35,000)
- Enhanced Access to Delta Sky Club: From February 1, 2025, Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business American Express Card Members will enjoy:
- Increased annual visits from 10 to 15 days.
- A provision to count all visits within a 24-hour timeframe as a single day.
- An option to purchase Club access at $50 per day post utilizing all included days.
- An opportunity to unlock unlimited Delta Sky Club access after an expenditure of $75,000 on eligible cards within a year.
- Expanded MQM Rollover Options: For every accrued 100,000 MQMs, members can claim another year of Medallion Status at their existing tier.
- Increased Recognition for Million Milers: Starting February 1, 2024, Million Milers will get enhanced lifetime status achievements.
- Six million lifetime miles or more: Delta 360 status (from Diamond Medallion)
- Five million lifetime miles: Delta 360 status (from Platinum Medallion)
- Four million lifetime miles: Diamond Medallion status (from Platinum Medallion)
- Three million lifetime miles: Diamond Medallion status (from Gold Medallion)
- Two million lifetime miles: Platinum Medallion status (from Gold Medallion)
- One million lifetime miles: Gold Medallion status (from Silver Medallion)
In the coming weeks, Delta will detail additional changes to improved Choice Benefits for Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members and MQD incentives for qualified Delta SkyMiles Card Members.